AMD Releases Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2
Last Tuesday, AMD rolled out their major display driver update for 2017: Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1. Not long since, this week AMD has released Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2, focusing solely on bugfixes, though not all fixes pertain to Adrenalin. To recap some of the highlights, Adrenalin brought the new Radeon Overlay, including performance monitoring, OSD, and in-game Radeon Settings changes. The major update also included a number of enhancements and expanded support for Enhanced Sync, ReLive, and other pre-existing features.
Of the documented resolved issues, a good amount is directly related to Adrenalin, alongside general bugs and application-specific issues.
Adrenalin Related Resolved Issues
- Radeon Overlay performance metrics may appear and disappear intermittently during updates.
- Color Temperature controls may change colors on the incorrect display when using the reset option.
- Radeon Settings Video tab may disappear on some hybrid graphics system configurations after a reboot.
- Region recording in Radeon ReLive will continue to record when the region window is closed.
Application-specific Resolved Issues
- Stuttering during Netflix playback in a browser or via UWP application
- Star Wars Battlefront II graphical corruption in some areas of the game.
- Heavy flickering or corruption in Ark Survival Evolved when enabling the performance metrics overlay in Windows 7.
Other Resolved Issues
- 3×1 display configurations may experience instability during Eyefinity creation or during gaming.
- AMD XConnect Technology enabled system configurations may experience an intermittent system hang on hot plug.
- GPU Display scaling may fail to enable when desktop resolution is set very low.
- A black screen may be experienced when running full screen games on the Samsung CF791 Radeon FreeSync enabled display.
17.12.2 also updates the list of currently open issues:
Adrenalin Related Known Issues
- The “Reset” function in Radeon Settings for Display, ReLive, and Video may not work as intended when using Radeon Settings in certain regional languages.
- Trimming videos may fail to create a thumbnail if the video contains non-English characters.
- Flickering may be observed on the performance metrics overlay when Enhanced Sync is enabled on some Radeon FreeSync connected displays.
- Performance Metrics Overlay may hang if enabled when cycling display power off and on.
Other Known Issues
- Rise of the Tomb Raider may experience an intermittent application hang during gameplay.
- Radeon Settings may experience a hang when enabling CrossFire with three or more graphics products.
- Radeon WattMan may intermittently fail to load profiles for Radeon RX Vega on the global Radeon Wattman page.
- A random system hang may be experienced after extended periods of use on system configurations using 12 GPUs for compute workloads.
- The GPU Workload feature may cause a system hang when switching to Compute while CrossFire is enabled; a workaround is to disable CrossFire before switching the toggle to Compute workloads.
While listed in the release notes for 17.12.1, for 17.12.2 it is not clear if “Upgrading Radeon Software with mGPU RX Vega configurations on X99 chipsets may cause system instability after reboot” remains an open issue.
The updated drivers for AMD’s desktop, mobile, and integrated GPUs are available through the Radeon Settings tab or online at the AMD driver download page. More information on this update and further issues can be found in the Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.12.2 release notes.