Kingston at CES 2018: Nucleum, a Portable 7-in-1 USB-C Dock for Notebooks
LAS VEGAS, NV — Notebook manufacturers, Apple in particular, were heavily criticized in 2016/2017 for introducing notebooks that feature only USB Type-C connectors. For end-users, such a transition meant making an additional investment into new peripherals, or docks. However, for hardware manufacturers, the transition to USB-C opens up new opportunities. At CES, Kingston demonstrated its first USB Type-C dock that supports seven ports as well as power pass-through.
The Kingston Nucleum is a rather compact sleek device made of aluminum and plastic to match design of Apple’s MacBook/MacBook Pro and other silver/metallic consumer laptops with USB Type-C ports. The dock has two USB 3.0 Type-A ports (one supports charging), one USB Type-C header, an HDMI 1.4 display output (max resolution is 3840×2160 at 30 Hz), an SD card reader, a microSD card reader as well as a USB Type-C power input.
The Nucleum supports power delivery pass through of up to 60 W, which is enough to power and charge a 13” laptop (such as a modern MacBook Pro). Larger and more power-hungry machines demand more power and their charging will take longer time using the dock from Kingston.
|Kingston's Nucleum 7-in-1 USB-C Dock|
|Main Connection||USB 3.0 Type-C at 5 Gbps with power delivery|
|Display Outputs||HDMI 1.4 (max resolution is 3840×2160 at 30 Hz)|
|USB||1 × USB 3.0 Type-A (5V 1500mA)|
1 × USB 3.0 Type-A
1 × USB 3.0 Type- C
|Power Input||up to 60 W|
|Dimensions||127 × 45 × 14.2 mm|
5 × 1.77 × 0.56 inches
Kingston’s Nucleum USB-C dock is already available at Amazon.com for $79.99. In the coming months Kingston will expand availability of the device to markets outside the U.S.
- AUKEY’s CB-C55 USB-C Hub Now on Sale: Macbook Port Expander with Power and Ethernet
- Lenovo’s New ThinkPad Laptops Get Universal USB-C Power Adapters
- Lenovo Reveals New TB3 Powered Graphics Dock at CES 2018: GTX 1050, 0 Hz WMR
- OWC Launches 13-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock: GbE, USB-A, SD Card, mDP, FireWire & More
- Promise Launches TD-300 9-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock: GbE, HDMI, USB 3.0, TB3 Charging & More
- Plextor Launches EX1 USB-C External SSD: Up to 550 MBps, 512 GB and LDPC