Kingston Begins Shipping 2TB UV500 Series SATA SSDs
Kingston, who recently released their new UV500 line of SSD products, has announced it is now shipping a 2 TB capacity drive a 2.5-inch form factor. Kingston states the UV500 is their first 3D NAND-based SSD that features 256-bit hardware-based AES full-disk encryption as well as support for TCG Opal 2.0. The drives are specified to reach read/write speeds of up to 520MB/s and 500MB/s which match up on paper with many other SATA based SSDs.
The UV500 series drives use Marvell’s 88SS1074 SATA SSD controller mated with 3D TLC NAND. The controller supports third generation error-correcting, low-density parity check (LDPC technology), as well as reliability and endurance enhancements. As far as endurance goes, the UV500 series drives Total Bytes Written (TBW) written varies by capacity with the 0 GB drive rated for 60 TBW to the 960 GB at 480TBW. The 2 TB monster sits at 800 TB mark. They rate the Life expectancy to 1 million hours MTBF and are backed by a limited five-year warranty, about par for the course.
The controller/NAND combo pushes the drive to speeds up to 520 MB/s reads and 500 MB/s writes from the 240GB models on up (0 GB is 520/320). IOPS were not listed on the 2TB drive however the 960GB model can reach up to 79000 reads and 45000 writes in IOMeter which is about average for the mainstream SSD category.
Pricing at the Kingston website for the 2 TB model is $695.50 and only available in 2.5-inch form-factor.
|Kingston UV500 Series|
|Form Factor||2.5", M.2, mSATA||2.5" Only|
|Interface||SATA 6 Gbps|
|NAND||3D TLC NAND|
|Sequential Read||520 MB/s||520 MB/s|
|Sequential Write||320 MB/s||500 MB/s|
|Random Read (4 KB) IOPS||79,000|
|Random Write (4 KB) IOPS||18,000||25,000||35,000||45,000||50,000|
|Power||Read||1.17 W (max.)|
|Write||2.32 W (max.)|
|Endurance||60 TB||100 TB||0 TB||480 TB||800 TB|
|Warranty||5 years (Limited)|
- The Plextor M9Pe NVMe SSD Review: Teaching An Old Chip New Tricks
- Intel QLC NAND Updates: Up to 20TB In 2.5-inch SSD
- Marvell Launches New SSD Controllers and RAID-Capable NVMe Switch
- Samsung 30.72 TB SSDs: Mass Production of PM1643 Begins
- Samsung’s PM1633a Now Available: $10k for 15 TB, $6k for 7 TB
- Samsung Begins to Ship 15.36 TB SSD for Enterprise Storage Systems
- Memblaze Launches PBlaze5 SSDs: Enterprise 3D TLC, Up to 6 GB/s, 1M IOPS, 11 TB
- Micron Introduces 9200 Series Enterprise NVMe SSDs
- Seagate Refreshes Enterprise SSDs With 3D NAND